Friday, May 3, 2013

Corn pakoras

"Facebook." Extending people's capacity to search, locate, build and maintain relationships! I have been very fortunate in getting and staying connected with friends who are an integral part of my cherished memories.
Again, I am one those fortunate ones where I was offered on silver platter the opportunity to make best use of my time, doing things that I am passionate about - thus was germinated the seed of writing a blog!
 I got a very overwhelming response from friends and family alike, motivational comments on Facebook and other social networking areas. Special mention of a dear friend Vandana Parthasarthy who wrote to me in a private message that I could  try one of her tried and tested recipe! My happiness knew no bounds. It took me a little longer than intended  to share this very delicious savory snack. The reason was I could not post the recipe without the accompanying pictures - to make it all the more visually appealing too, being an amateur photographer that delayed the process. Now I am absolutely ready to share this with all you. The recipe went through quality testing by none other than "His Highness" my better half. I passed the test with flying colors on a perfect score.
A very simple recipe with few ingredients, not at all time consuming but turns out scrumptious to the taste buds!
A very big Thank You Vandana! Hoping I have been able to do justice to your recipe!

Ingredients:
  1. Gram flour/Besan - 6 tablespoon
  2. Sweet corn kernels: 250 grams (crushed coarsely)
  3. Green chilli paste:  2teaspoon + Red chilli powder 1/2 teaspoon
  4. Onion: 1small (finely chopped)
  5. Cumin powder: 1teaspoon
  6. Carom seeds: 1/2 teaspoon
  7. A pinch or two of hing.
  8. Salt to taste
  9. Chaat masala: 1teaspoon.+ a little additional to sprinkle over the pakoras.
  10. Half a bunch of finely chopped cilantro.
  11. Oil for deep frying.
Process: 
 Mix the above ingredients to form a batter. In hot oil drop small portions of the corn mixture and deep fry the pakoras until golden brown. Remove and place on paper towel to remove the excess oil.
The right accompaniment to serve the pakaros is the green mint, cilantro chutney. Tomato ketchup is the next best alternative but piping hot tea is a MUST! :)

Tips:
  1.  No water is needed to form a batter if you are using canned sweet corn kernels.
  2. Canned sweet corn kernels will not require any water while grinding. 
  3. Sprinkle a little chaat masala over the fried pakoras, that will all the more enhance the taste. 
  4. Add the chopped onions and salt only when you are ready to fry the pakoras, as onion and salt will release additional water and you may encounter problems during frying.
  5. Adding one and a half teaspoon of grated ginger instead of hing is an option.
  6. Recommended use of spices as per measurement will ensure great results - just the way I got it!

Recommendation from the recipe owner herself:
"The same method can be used for vegetable pakodas, if u have not tried that......The ingredients can be chopped capsicum, chopped onions, chopped potato, chopped beetroot, chopped beans, corn, chopped green dhaniya, pudina, jeera, ajwain, hing, chopped green chillies, red chilly powder, salt, besan, oil. U could also add little saunf to give a different flavour."


No comments:

Post a Comment