Thursday, February 14, 2013

Lentil soup

The idea of writing a blog came at a time when I felt I had all the time in world, probably I said it too soon. Since my last post about a fortnight ago I have not been able to find enough time for my blog, but today while talking to a long distance friend who said " please post some recipes for soups" that set me thinking that indeed it's been quite a while.Soup season is here, nothing like a hot bowl of soup on cold winter day.
 Here's the recipe for lentil soup! This recipe was passed on to me by a family friend whose culinary skills are amazing, Come to think of it there was a time it appeared that my friend and cooking were like two parallel lines that could never meet - but miracles do happen! Thank you Shabina!
This recipe is an adaptation from a book on Soups and Salads!

  • 1 onion  chopped
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • few sprigs of cilantro chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
  • 2 cups dry lentils
  • 8 cups water
  • 1/2 cup spinach, rinsed and thinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons vinegar
  • salt to taste
Ground black pepper to taste!

Directions

  1. In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and cilantro; cook and stir until onion is tender. Stir in garlic, bay leaf, oregano, and basil; cook for 2 minutes.
  2. Stir in lentils, and add water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for at least 1 hour. When ready to serve stir in spinach, and cook until it wilts. Stir in vinegar, and season to taste with salt and pepper, and more vinegar if desired.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment